Pages

Tuesday 8 December 2015

HOME


UPDATE FROM RACHEL

 

making a new home

This concept of 'home' is strange. Where is home?  what is home?  who knows....  It makes no sense to me, but pretty soon I will return to Cambodia, settle in, and make it 'home.' How terrifying and exciting all in one bundle!
In Cambodia I will be returning to Battambang to join with another woman in the YWAM ministry in Cambodia called "Vithai M’dai." This is a maternal health initiative--a ministry of midwifery in missions. 
When I first arrive in Battambang I will be taking a Ministry Training Program for five months, as well as focusing on learning the local language (Khmer). This program focuses on becoming involved and integrated with the church and community, understanding ministry and evangelism in Cambodia, leadership training, discipleship, etc.  Some of this will be new to me, but much of it will be building on the experience and language I already have from my previous 1 1/2 years in Battambang.

After this, I will be working alongside a midwife from New Zealand who has been living in Cambodia for six years, as well as others who work in similar ministries with YWAM. 
As a ministry we have long-term future goals to set up a crisis pregnancy hotline; facilitate Continuing Education Workshops for midwives; facilitate/teach Maternal Healthcare seminars; open a Women’s Holistic Center; raise abortion awareness and education.

However, the initial steps will be getting out into the neighboring slums and villages to meet and build relationship with local women and their families with the aim of starting women’s discussion groups. These groups will be a place to build friendships, teach simple health care, disciple, learn from each other, ask questions, pray, etc. We will also be visiting local clinics, hospitals, and other health Initiatives to build relationships and discuss possible partnerships. On top of this, we will be available to provide antenatal care/counselling/ labour support/ postpartum care on a case-by-case basis for women we meet in the community.
We want to work alongside other ministries, organizations, initiatives, and government programs that are already established in Battambang—therefore much of my time will be building relationships and connections. Through it, hopefully I will be gaining a fuller and more complete understanding of the situation in Maternal/Child healthcare in Battambang.

Between now and January I will still be here in Winnipeg, shivering as it gets colder and colder.  Currently I am working part-time at a local grocery store; enjoying family time; loving being an auntie; and packing up my life. I am also sharing about missions at various churches and youth groups-- if you have an opportunity for me to share, let me know!  And I'm fundraising, because for me to move to Cambodia and serve these women, children, and families I need monthly financial support. If you would like to contribute and support me in this way, please email me.

I would appreciate it if you kept me in your prayers and thoughts!

Love,
Rachel

 


No comments:

Post a Comment